Saturday, December 31, 2011

When I was pregnant with Ayesha... I had an ambition- to breastfeed my baby when she is born. Initially I targeted for 6 months (because I only managed to breastfeed Aimaan 2/12 months and already mixed formula powder when he is 1 month old-> feel very guilty about that!)

I read, make mental preparation on how to breastfeed baby, search, ask my good friend on how she did it, attend class, and yeah...the most important thing is mentally prepared! With the facility I had (which i store room in my office), I have exclusively breastfed Ayesha for 1 year-> without mixing any formula milk. I feel proud, syukur..despite some people still dont have knowledge about breastfeeding. After one year, again, i want to stretch the period to 18 months, but the store room facility was taken, (they want to make way for renovation) and somehow it affected my schedule & and then I have start to give her goat milk-during day time and continue giving mommy's milk at night.

Alhamdulillah, managed to give on that basis until she reached 2 years... And when turned two, I had a problem, to wean her. Some people will put few things in the nipple - so when the baby wants to drink the milk, they will taste funny and don't want to drink anymore. Somehow, I don't feel comfortable doing that.

What i did:
1) tell her that she's a big girl and 'amma's susu habis' ..but for 2 months she's refusing to accept that she can't drink the milk anymore
2) tried to distract her form drinking milk- give her over stuff like vitamin, snacks & avoid to sit down with her (it worlds sometimes)
3) tried to give her fresh milk- mot of the time will give Aimaan, so she also wants to drink it.
4) get doctor's consultation- doctor said, we have to be firm with her, i.e. no means no. (well, i do sometimes, and it resulted tantrums-> very over acting tantrums, but it is cute anyway)

and now..it shows some improvement.. she slowly start to understand that 'amma susu habis'

but..the thing is...i missed the attachment feeling.
But anyhow , just feel great that I managed to breastfed my daughter until she is 2 years old- despite that i am working mum. Alhamdulillah. =)

No comments: